Puerh is lusciously unique, double fermented black tea. (We like to think of it as black tea and beyond). Although the Chinese have known Puerh’s amazing benefits for centuries, it became a prized discovery among Western tea lovers fairly recently. Only the leaves coming from the province of Yunnan and put under a strictly controlled fermentation process are to be called pu-erh; after spending 5 long years in warm and moist cellars, the tea develops its unique, wine-like taste.
Truly, this tea is a crown jewel among natural remedies due to its bioactive compounds. At Magic Hour, we choose to always ADD puerh to each of our black tea blends, because this exquisite leaf enhances all it encounters.
Let's first begin by discussing some of the benefits of Black Tea.
Benefits of Black Tea
Black tea, puerh included, is not just a caffeinated alternative to coffee. It is teeming with nourishing, medicinal benefits for your physicality and physiology.
- Black tea promotes heart health by lowering blood pressure and decreasing "bad" cholesterol (LDL). Instead of pushing your cardiovascular system with a morning cup of joe, transition to a black tea (like puerh). According to the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, that amount of black tea significantly lowers the risk of a stroke. What a real-life health potion!
- Black tea decreases the chances of dementia. The National University of Singapore claims black tea reduces that risk by 50% (you read that right), while also helping to prevent Alzheimer's disease among genetically inclined patients.
- Black tea lowers blood pressureand blood sugar as well - and therefore aids in protecting you from type 2 diabetes. Thanks to various insulin-supporting substances (like theaflavins and tannins) it helps us process sugar.
- Black tea contains L-theanine, an amino-acid responsible for the balanced delivery of caffeine; for you, it means smooth sailing instead of spikes and crashes.
What Sets Apart Puerh?
As we mentioned, puerh to us is even a step above traditional black tea, both due to its vital nature as well as its exquisite quality. Here are some of the unique elements of puerh.
- Puerh purifies toxins from your physical body and helps to eliminate free radicals, which are linked to aging and a host of other diseases.
- Puerh also promotes healthy bones and reduces stress.
- Puerh has been untilize for weight-loss for many centuries because of to its vibrant probiotic elements - developed throughout its unique double fermentation process.
- Puerh can ease the heavy feelings of indulgence, and fatty food and is ideal for Keto dieters, since it helps the liver process high-fat food content.
- Puerh can also be used for intermittent fasting as a richly flavored potion with no calories.
Our Mistress of Ceremonies, Zhena, has dubbed it a “sin eraser”, as it can be enjoyed after moments of excess to leave you feeling redeemed! Our intestinal microbiome is responsible for producing up to 85% of our serotonin levels, so sipping Puerh has long been treasured as a natural mood booster, alleviating both physical sluggishness as well as emotional. Puerh truly is a tonifying tea for mind, body and spirit.
Brewing The Perfect Potion
Our Puerh is a one-of-a-kind Biodynamic Sri Lankan tea from a wildlife preserve, and shines as the centerpiece of our Magic Hour black tea blends, lifting each cup to new heights.
Here’s a sweet, mystical ritual you can cultivate with your daily cup, no matter the time of day.
Place a heaping teaspoon of puerh into your pot or vessel of choice. Boil your water to a temperature between 160-165 degrees fahrenheit and steep for 2-3 minutes.
At Dawn: Brew first thing in the morning and indulge in the luxurious scent of your steeping puerh, while setting your intentions for the day. There’s no need to fret or fear when you already know things will go your way.
At Dusk: Brew as a wonderful reward for all the hard work you’ve done and every success, big or small from your day. Let yourself relish in a moment to recharge and invigorate. The potion of puerh is there to help you fall in love with your day all over again – the possibilities are still endless.
Explore our Magic Hour Puerh Offerings
Here are all our potions that contain the luscious Puerh!
- Sin Eraser
- Bohemian Breakfast
- Coconut Chai
- Raspberry Early Grey
- Gypsy Rose
- Rise and Shine
- Vanilla Early Grey
- Earl Greater Grey
And be sure to check out our Magic Hour video, where our Mistress of Alchemy shows you how to make a Bohemian Breakfast latte! (Trust us, it will be your new favorite!)